Thursday 27 August 2009

Day 1- It Hurts to Laugh

That's right, our abs are in so much pain that laughing, coughing and sneezing are agony. Going into Day 1 all excited and ready to start, we are both feeling productive and pleased with our efforts but stunned at the amount of muscle fatigue going on right now (Sam: or at least I am. I think I have a chronic muscle fatigue disorder).

First off, our flabby flawed bits all bared in our "Before" pictures as promised, not Photoshopped or airbrushed in any way (be warned, Arivind's nickname is Hairy for a reason):


And now our thoughts and feelings on the workout:

The "20 Secs On, 10 Secs Off" Cardio

Arivind: Funnily enough the run was not as bad as I anticipated and I managed to complete it, though my sprint got progressively "less sprinty" as I hit the 7th & 8th cycles. A lot more intense than a normal 10 minute jog at a steady pace.

Sam: I f****** hate running, but I loved that this wasn't tedious, managed to quickly get my heart pounding and core working (I twist my waist a lot) and was over before I knew it. "Less sprinty" is putting it mildly I think- by my 5th cycle my sprints were jogs and my jogs were draggy walks with a desperate forced bounce.

The "Step 6" Ab Exercises

Sam: Nice and effective. Did a good long stretch afterwards- 4 x 12 reps x 3 types= 144 crunches/sit-ups in total so a stretch was definitely in order!

Arivind: Did not have fun with the bicycle crunches, and the leg lifts whilst on the floor are NOT EVEN FUNNY. Instead of 4 sets of 12 reps I ended up separating them into 12 sets of 4 reps! My hamstrings are crap!

The Exercise Wheel: The Wheel of Death

Sam: Woah, this was a revelation- not only did it reveal why it's been given the nickname above (re: it's VERY VERY hard), but it also exposed just how shitty my arm strength is. I can't believe how easy the guy on YouTube made it look! I found it utterly impossible to manage even one proper rep... am I exceptionally weak or is this thing meant just for men?? Managed a few girly halfway attempts (rolled out as far as I could and pulled back) and could already feel it killing my arms and core.

Arivind: Not too bad going. Whacked on some knee pads and managed to get 12 beginner reps (on the knees) done, though I can't roll out as flat as the guy in the video does yet. This is going to be the one that's going to demand the best of me.

The Food

Our Lunch of Chargrilled Marinated Turkey Breast- just to show healthy can still be yummy:)

Had a movie in the evening hence the late dinner-no hunger and no cravings, but (and we never thought we'd say this) it's actually difficult to eat so often! 6 meals a day means eating pretty much every 2 hours- hard to do when you're out and about. Guess we'll need to get into the habit of carrying fruit or high-protein snacks around.

Sam's Food Diary
Breakfast (10am)
2 scrambled eggs (with black pepper, cayenne, bit of 1 % milk and touch of olive oil)
1 cup hot green tea

Lunch (1.45 pm)
Chargrilled marinated turkey breast* with broccoli and petit pois
1 small glass apple juice**
1 glass warm green tea

Snack (4pm)
1 banana

Snack (6.30pm)
1 glass pink grapefruit juice**
Handful of grapes
Handful of almonds

Dinner (9pm)
1 small grilled salmon fillet with light soy, sesame oil, garlic & ginger
1 small avocado
Large plate bistro salad (tender leaves with shredded beetroot)
1 nectarine
1 cup decaf green tea

Arivind's Food Diary
Breakfast (6.30am)
1 small bowl half Shredded Wheat half crunchy granola with 1% milk
1 medium glass orange juice**

Snack (10am)
1 glass iced green tea
Large handful roasted salted pistachios

Lunch (1.45 pm)
Chargrilled marinated turkey breast* with broccoli and petit pois
1 glass iced green tea

Snack (4pm)
1 banana
1 glass iced green tea

Dinner (9pm)
1 slice rye bread with smoked salmon, Tabasco and chopped peanut & chilli dressing
1 glass ice decaf green tea

*Marinated in a homemade Wagamama dressing (light soy, vinegar, garlic, ginger, onion and ketchup) and Tabasco sauce. Chargrilled using a bit of olive oil

**All juices are 100% not-from-concentrate, no sugar added.

Off to bed to recover now, goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment